Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

EchoLink

4 posters

Go down

EchoLink    Empty EchoLink

Post by Admin Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:46 am

Do any of the experienced HAMs have any idea what this is, or how it works (in plain English)?

http://www.echolink.org/
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

EchoLink    Empty Re: EchoLink

Post by Texas Patriot Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:15 am

The short of it is that it connects repeater stations through the internet.
This allows for further 2m communications to areas you might not be able to reach through normal use.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:28 am

Texas Patriot wrote:The short of it is that it connects repeater stations through the internet.
This allows for further 2m communications to areas you might not be able to reach through normal use.

I still do not know what this means.

So it allows a person to talk on the 2m band to someone much further away than the radio signal can travel because it connects two distant repeaters through an internet connection?

If yes, then it would be worthless if the power and/or internet went down?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 am

Correct. That's why I have not bothered with using it.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:42 am

Texas Patriot wrote:Correct. That's why I have not bothered with using it.

Plus it seems like it would be another NSA wet dream...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by audie7 Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:39 am

How it works:
I can use my computer and connect with any repeater that is connected into the Echo Link system ( World Wide) with out using my radio, or I can hook my 2 Meter radio to my computer and connect that way, I use Echo Link and talk with some preppers in Australia directly though my internet link, It has limited value, yes. but I can use the internet to connect with a 2 Meter repeater anywhere in the world ( that is hooked into the Echo Link system ) and the person Im talking to can be on his 2 Meter handheld radio in the field,he does not need a internet connection, this can bring otherwise impossible to get information to the table even if at the mercy of the internet connection.  This system also works right here inside Texas and the U.S. as well.

There is always a use for other avenues of communication, it work very efficiently for instant, direct comms if the cell towers are down but internet still up.
audie7
audie7

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:51 pm

No doubt it is a very useful system. Just don't become too dependent on it.
Good idea to use it to gain Intel.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by canonball2 Mon May 18, 2015 11:17 pm

Echolink, like IRLP, uses VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol. Just like big companies don't use PBX or land lines any more.Your voice (aka transmission) is sent over the Internet as data and is received on the other end. Special programs are used to encode and decode the date (aka your voice). This is a form of digital communications. And you can send faxes and images over this protocal. Like Audie7 said, you can reach anywhere with a laptop and a Tech license. There are other (over the air) programs that you can use to send images, faxes, video/TV, emails, and Morse code, via your computer attached only to your HT. As long as the sending and receiving radios can hear each other, you can send this information back and forth without commercial power or internet. This is considered "packet" transmissions since it's bursts of info at a time like using a modem over a phone line.

canonball2

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 19, 2015 7:52 am

canonball2 wrote:Echolink, like IRLP, uses VoIP or Voice over Internet Protocol. Just like big companies don't use PBX or land lines any more.Your voice (aka transmission) is sent over the Internet as data and is received on the other end. Special programs are used to encode and decode the date (aka your voice). This is a form of digital communications. And you can send faxes and images over this protocal. Like Audie7 said, you can reach anywhere with a laptop and a Tech license. There are other (over the air) programs that you can use to send images, faxes, video/TV, emails, and Morse code, via your computer attached only to your HT. As long as the sending and receiving radios can hear each other, you can send this information back and forth without commercial power or internet. This is considered "packet" transmissions since it's bursts of info at a time like using a modem over a phone line.

As a visual person, I am just going to have to watch someone use it to understand exactly what is going on.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by canonball2 Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:23 pm

Each year, Last weekend in June is "Field Day" for Ham Radio operators. Found everywhere throughout the US, in backyards, roadsides, parking lots, beaches, parks, and campgrounds. Field Day is a day where ham operators setup their stations for emergency comms using battery and/or solar power, generators, or mobiles. The contest, to reach as many stations or operators using several different HF modes- SSB, CW, PACKET (DIGITAL), SSTV, AM, ETC. Search the ARRL website for a location near you and visit them. Even if you are not licensed, they will let you talk and experience all the different setups. It's a cool time the is open to the public as a community awareness event

canonball2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum