Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are You Going to Sleep?

4 posters

Go down

Where are You Going to Sleep? Empty Where are You Going to Sleep?

Post by Admin Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:52 pm

SHTF! You packed up your gear and moved to your group's retreat. Where are you and your family going to sleep? Maybe you are the retreat owner. Where is everyone going to sleep? From discussions with lots of different individuals and groups, most people do not have this worked out.

Sleeping on the ground will get old, will keep you from sleeping well, and will eventually cause health issues. Air mattresses get holes in them regularly and often. No one has a large stack of mattresses sitting around. Cots are a good start, but most people don't have these. Surplus military bunks or quality wood bunks are even better (especially with mattresses), but they take up a lot of space. Folding beds with mattresses are one of the better and more compact solutions, but if you are expecting 20+ people showing up, is there a secure place to line up 20 beds? The living room and dining room? In the bedrooms? Out in the barn? What about linens and pillows? What about washing it all? Your washing machine will not stand up to the abuse, even if you have the water and electricity to run it. Hand washing will take up a decent portion of the day. What happens when 20 extra people that you were not expecting show up (because they will?)

Where are You Going to Sleep? 41NWnojD0mL._SX425_

This is just one logistical issue of many for any group, and it will be something that will need to be addressed almost immediately. Sleepy people are just as dangerous as hungry people, but in a different way. As a group member, regardless of whether you have ownership in the retreat property or not, these logistical problems are yours. It should be a requirement of any group member to acquire any necessary items to whatever standards the group has decided. Beyond the enormous amount of supplies one individual might require, storage of those items will also be important. If your retreat has a dedicated space to store all of the needed items, that is great, but if not, then some other off property storage arrangement will be necessary, and the members can all pitch in on the cost. Once stored, those items need to be checked for proper function and durability every so often.

Beyond "stuff," there is training. Each group member needs to make themselves available for training as needed. While training, each member also needs to practice what they have trained regularly, individually as well as part of the group. Everyone should work regularly to increase their survival knowledge base. Each person must contribute equally in some manner. If you are not, then don't be surprised if you find yourself on the outside looking in.

It is one thing to call yourself a survivalist/prepper and then not contribute or pull your weight. It is completely different to be a hopeless optimist without a clue. I am personally more inclined to allow the later into my retreat than the former, because the former should know better and has no valid excuse.

I used to call myself a survivalist. Now I call myself a thrivalist, and I will be sleeping comfortably following SHTF. Where are you going to be sleeping 30 days after SHTF? Will you be just surviving, or thriving?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Where are You Going to Sleep? Empty Re: Where are You Going to Sleep?

Post by LSP Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:04 pm

Survive or Thrive? good question...
LSP
LSP

Back to top Go down

Post by doc g Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:56 am

Been in a tent for 6 years now. I have committed to myself to have a bunk house built within the next 90 days, simply because I am tired of a tent, mostly worrying about it during winter months. Snow and ice have crushed 3 of the 4 in the last 6 years.

My current air mattress is the original, queen, double thick, been very lucky. We've left it aired up for the last 6 years, have to bump it a little during winter months, but other than that, it is one of the most comfortable places we sleep.

As for family, we have extra tents, they have tents, we have extra air mattresses as do they. I have tried to encourage my son in law who hunts up there, to build his own bunk house, I think we will get that one done as soon as mine is done. They know my mindset, and I have encouraged them to stock food as well.

I think laundry is one of those duties that will get rotated among the group, or you do your own.

doc g

Back to top Go down

Post by infamous Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Seems to me I remember flat freezing my cods off on a waterbed when the heater broke. Thought that PERFECT as a heat sink/mattress to get some sleep in hot Texas. Quite heavy but free ac. Pile up the quilts under you in the winter or go to air. Looking to get a dozen.

infamous

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum