Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gardening Season

3 posters

Go down

Gardening Season Empty Gardening Season

Post by Texas Patriot Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:32 am

Finally got out and prepared the remaining garden beds yesterday.

Our gardening up to this point have been in raised beds and I have a lot of pros and cons about raised beds. They have worked fairly well.

I decided to add a larger in ground plot this year for corn and beans. Going to fence it off and get seeds in the ground this morning. I know we are running a little behind for corn but still gonna see what happens.

I placed this plot near the area we will be placing our be hives. Hopefully it wont be too close. Shocked

Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Gardening Season Empty Re: Gardening Season

Post by Texas Patriot Mon May 11, 2015 8:09 pm

Corn is doing well. Its about 4ft tall now and with all the rain its really doing well. Beans and cantaloupe doing well too.
I sure could get used to this rain. without the storms that go with it.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue May 12, 2015 9:28 am

We are having our first successful garden this year. We can only used raised beds because we live on rock, and I finally found a soil mixture that seems to be working, along with the depth of the beds.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Tue May 12, 2015 7:09 pm

I like our raised beds. They use more water though.
We didn't have to use them but they are easier than getting on your hands and knees.
What size did you start with?
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by doc g Wed May 13, 2015 6:36 pm

I grew my first ever garden last year, still have some sweet corn vacuum packed and frozen, some pickles, and some salsa left.

Garden is 40x40 and is going gang busters, as long as the rain doesn't wash it away. Having some erosion issues at this point.

Sweet corn (110 plants), green beans (6 rows), okra, onions (~200 combo sweet, red, and yellow), radishes, peppers of many types, brussell sprouts, cilantro, tomatoes (65 plants), cantaloupe OTA, pickling cucumbers, zucchini, water melon, green onions, spinach, already pulled one double row of spinach, going to repurpose that row.

Also have an 8x8 raised box of asparagus planted last spring, got to eat about 8 meals out of it this year. If you like asparagus, the bed you plant will last about 20 years, comes back every year. Use crowns, follow planting directions let it just grow the first year, and start harvesting year 2. The asparagus we had this year was the most tender and tasty I have ever had.

I tilled my whole 40x40 garden, then built an 8x8 box in one corner of it. Planted 40 crowns as per instructions, then put multiple large bags of Mir Gro planting soil over it. Added 2 more large bags of Mir Gro this spring. Asparagus is not only spreading inside the box, now finding it just outside as well.

Speaking of planting, I do NOT follow traditional or recommended spacing, I pack that shit in there. In my 40x40, I have 16 mounded furrows about 12-18" wide and typically plant 2 rows of every thing in that row, i.e., 2 rows of corn in one furrow, or tomatoes, etc. If I could figure out how to include a pic, you would be amazed with my onion patch.

doc g

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 am

Texas Patriot wrote:I like our raised beds. They use more water though.
We didn't have to use them but they are easier than getting on your hands and knees.

Each plant is in a plastic tub about the size of the bottom of a barrel with a soil depth of about 14"
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Sun May 17, 2015 1:07 pm

doc g wrote:I grew my first ever garden last year, still have some sweet corn vacuum packed and frozen, some pickles, and some salsa left.

Garden is 40x40 and is going gang busters, as long as the rain doesn't wash it away. Having some erosion issues at this point.

Sweet corn (110 plants), green beans (6 rows), okra, onions (~200 combo sweet, red, and yellow), radishes, peppers of many types, brussell sprouts, cilantro, tomatoes (65 plants), cantaloupe OTA, pickling cucumbers, zucchini, water melon, green onions, spinach, already pulled one double row of spinach, going to repurpose that row.

Also have an 8x8 raised box of asparagus planted last spring, got to eat about 8 meals out of it this year. If you like asparagus, the bed you plant will last about 20 years, comes back every year. Use crowns, follow planting directions let it just grow the first year, and start harvesting year 2. The asparagus we had this year was the most tender and tasty I have ever had.

I tilled my whole 40x40 garden, then built an 8x8 box in one corner of it. Planted 40 crowns as per instructions, then put multiple large bags of Mir Gro planting soil over it. Added 2 more large bags of Mir Gro this spring. Asparagus is not only spreading inside the box, now finding it just outside as well.

Speaking of planting, I do NOT follow traditional or recommended spacing, I pack that shit in there. In my 40x40, I have 16 mounded furrows about 12-18" wide and typically plant 2 rows of every thing in that row, i.e., 2 rows of corn in one furrow, or tomatoes, etc. If I could figure out how to include a pic, you would be amazed with my onion patch.

Wow. Your gonna be doing a lot of canning.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Sun May 17, 2015 1:11 pm

Admin wrote:
Texas Patriot wrote:I like our raised beds. They use more water though.

Each plant is in a plastic tub about the size of the bottom of a barrel with a soil depth of about 14"

We haven't tried growing in tubs.
We have done some earth boxes without great success. I will keep experimenting with them though.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:44 am

Cant really complain about the rain. It is helping to provide a very bountiful garden this year.
We just harvested green beans. We will be canning this morning for a while.
Must take advantage of the great production this year and put as much away as possible.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum