Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Members. Like it or not.

3 posters

Go down

Members. Like it or not. Empty Members. Like it or not.

Post by Texas Patriot Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:43 pm

Another important issue that you must consider for your retreat is members.

Another tough one. Yes I would like to be bad ass enough to handle it on my own, but that isn't going to happen.
You have to have people. One of the most difficult things you will have to deal with. Everyone has their own idea of how things should be and how things need to be done. This and finances will become the biggest issue when dealing with members.
Start with friends and family. Then move outward very carefully.
I have found that you will talk to and visit with hundreds of people to find one that you can live with and will provide needed talent.
Do not be too hasty. It takes a lot of time to assemble a trust worthy group of people with the necessary skills to provide a self reliant and secure retreat. Its been 6yrs and I am still working on it.
Learn what you can from those who have started and run a successful retreat or group. It will not be easy to find but they are out there.

Do any of y'all have any experience? Please add to this discussion so that we may all learn.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Members. Like it or not. Empty Re: Members. Like it or not.

Post by doc g Sun Mar 22, 2015 8:42 pm

TP, I have met some in similar positions as yours. When I first started, I felt overwhelmed in getting a mag together.

Had several meetings with several people over the past 6 years, had them to my bol, they never panned out. I have decided to rely on local people within the remote community I am in. I now have several with lots of prepping under their belt, many have past mil experience, a welder and jack of all trades who has his own shop and lives off the grid (has pulled my ass out of the fire several times), a recently certified nurse, a small engine repair mechanic, and some others.

Curious, how long do you interface with them prior to having them visit your bol? Is one of the things I am concerned with for those who didn't pan out, and is why I have stopped having "get togethers". If they locked gps, they could return, but because I am so remote, there are many ways to keep them from reaching me. The coolest thing for me at this point, is that ALL of the folks I am dealing with setting up an alternative future together, already are neighbors of mine!

I have saved a couple of "bylaws" from a place or 2, but if I have folks that are already owners in my boat, how do you move forward from there? I'm pretty sure we are all on the same page, and would help one another as needed. I have already granted access to my tools to several both within my community, as well as a couple outside it.

I know, that I do not know everything, especially when it comes to defense. I have some of those people near me, who already have plans in place to prevent "squatters". I too have been working to prepare for exactly 6 years, next week.

So, in closing, I would ask, how do, or can you, even manage others who are close by, who own their own piece of God? I think and believe that I have struck the balance, of having a remote community of owners, who all have something to bring to the table. We do not hesitate to assist one another, when the call comes.

doc g

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 pm

"Curious, how long do you interface with them prior to having them visit your bol?"

We set up several meetings in a public locations.
Then we invite them to an event that we will be attending or putting on.
My goal is to have as much interaction with them as possible. To get a feel of their real personality.
Most of the time they never make it past the second meeting. I try not to have any of them to the BOL until after they make some type of commitment.
Its very tough either way you go about it.
The neighbors I have around me are mostly idiots. They will agree with you 90% but refuse to commit to any kind of prepping of any kind.
Therefore, I look at them as resources once the SHTF. What they have now, they will not need later when they all wonder off and starve to death or get themselves killed.
Sounds harsh but I'm afraid that will be the reality when it all goes to hell.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:34 am

Unprepared neighbors are actually a danger and serious threat under certain circumstances. If food or water become scarce, you will likely be forced to defend yourself against them with deadly force. It is just something to keep in mind.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:40 pm

I have considered that. Not a good scenario but one I considered.
I only have one neighbor that I'm truly concerned with. I have also considered what I will do with that as well.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum