Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maybe Not Completely on Foot

4 posters

Go down

Maybe Not Completely on Foot Empty Maybe Not Completely on Foot

Post by Ranger Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:37 pm

I like the idea of the folding cross country bike. They range from $150.00 - $400.00, and will fold as small as a suit case. The bike would take up very little space in you vehicle and would be there for you to get from your stalled vehicle home. Carrying a BOB on a bike compared to walking is what I'm talking about.
Ranger
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Maybe Not Completely on Foot Empty Re: Maybe Not Completely on Foot

Post by Admin Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:39 pm

Ranger wrote:I like the idea of the folding cross country bike.  They range from $150.00 - $400.00, and will fold as small as a suit case.  The bike would take up very little space in you vehicle and would be there for you to get from your stalled vehicle home.  Carrying a BOB on a bike compared to walking is what I'm talking about.

You might want to ask Doc G about that. Unless you practice a lot, it is much more difficult that you might expect.

I have owned several folding bicycles, and used to ride quite a bit. Be sure to have a spare tube, repair kit, and tools. It was not uncommon for me to repair/change a tube every week.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by tnewty Sat Mar 07, 2015 5:05 pm

Solid rubber bicycle tires are available.

tnewty

Back to top Go down

Post by doc g Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:58 am

Here is my .02 on riding a bike with a bob. It had better be a damn small light weight one!

Like most when new to prepping and building a bob, I put everything under the sun in it. It wasn't until a couple years later that I found out I had built and inch bag, not a bob. This thing would either kill me in the first 2 miles walking with it, or you could easily track me by the shit I start dumping out of it within the first half mile. Current weight is around 55 lbs., and that's AFTER modifying it some.

GF and I went to a state park down south a couple of years ago where the primitive area was about a 2 mile hike. I came up with the grand idea we would take our bikes and ride in. I'm pretty sure it was up hill both directions. I couldn't even ride the 2 miles with my bob on my back. Keeping balanced being that top heavy was incredibly difficult, and boy howdy was it ever painful on the seat.

Needless to say, we lasted 1 night on our bug out, drove on to Fredericksburg and got a hotel for the 2nd. Soooo,.... If you're gonna combine the bob with the bike, I highly recommend you rig a way for the bike to carry the bob such as a child's seat, or a trailer, which defeats the purpose of the folding bike. Just my take.

doc g

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 pm

It would be my plan to strap my bob to the carry rack that comes with the folding bikes that I have looked at. I have considered filling the tires with foam. As stated above, I like the idea of rubber tires as well. My bag currently weighs 55lbs and I feel it would weigh me down on a long hike home or to my end destination. Thanks for all the input.
Ranger
Ranger

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:21 pm

Ranger wrote:It would be my plan to strap my bob to the carry rack that comes with the folding bikes that I have looked at.  I have considered filling the tires with foam.  As stated above, I like the idea of rubber tires as well.  My bag currently weighs 55lbs and I feel it would weigh me down on a long hike home or to my end destination.  Thanks for all the input.

You might want to borrow someone's bicycle and try it before you buy. The racks that come on folding bicycles are only good for about 20-25lbs of very stable cargo. Ask me how I know...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ranger Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, I will. Thanks for the advice.
Ranger
Ranger

Back to top Go down