Survival Sanity
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Buy-In

3 posters

Go down

The Buy-In Empty The Buy-In

Post by Admin Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

How do you handle accepting new members into your group when it comes to paying? I can only assume that the members of most groups have all divided the costs equally where applicable. But when everything is paid for by the founding members, what happens when new members join?

Something for free has no value.

There must be a cost. This is important. It has taken me many years to realize this important fact. I have offered to teach people my manufacturing skills for free. I have never had any takers. After someone told me that "free has no value," I decided to charge $1500 per person per three day class, and the class filled immediately. The only difference between what I was offering for free, and what I offered in the three day class, was the commitment of money on behalf of the student.

Your retreat, and what your group has built has significant value that cannot be free. If people complain about the "buy-in," then they are not really interested, and probably not the type you want anyway. They wanted in for free because they themselves had no value, they perceived your group and its infrastructure had no value, or both.

If your group has gone in equally on property, then new members should have the same buy-in costs. So what if your property is paid for? The buy-in money goes into a general fund, or something similar, to pay for property upgrades. If your group has a gear list that all have purchased, then your new members should be required to add to their part of that gear list. Whatever you decide for your group, there must be a buy-in or it has no value.

Even if you are a new group starting out. One member might be willing to use their property as the retreat, and that is completely up to them. But each member should contribute time, labor, and/or money to the improvement of SHTF living standards there, defense of the property and surrounding area, and infrastructure for when the time comes.

A buy-in does not need to be money. It can be acquiring specific gear, or training in specific areas. It can be provided in labor, equipment, and/or rentals. Someone with special skills can trade training other group members as part or all of they buy-in costs. Some one with raw land might donate that as a buy-in, or offer heavy equipment, or other supplies. There are many ways to account for buy-n costs for new members (or even existing members on an ongoing basis), it just takes an open mind.

But whatever you do, it cannot be free. There must be a cost associated with membership, or you will only find people who are not willing to be a faithful contributing part of your group. Ask me how I know...
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://survivalsanity.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Buy-In Empty Re: The Buy-In

Post by doc g Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:21 am

very good points, something I have struggled to figure out

doc g

Back to top Go down

Post by Texas Patriot Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:25 pm

So true. I believe that if you are serious enough to invest in something it gives you a stake in that venture. If you have a stake in it, you are more likely to remain dedicated.
Texas Patriot
Texas Patriot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum